Thursday, June 21, 2007

Lots of stuff going on...This is the first of several Posts I'll be doing, today, Thursday June 21st....

First, on June 14th(same day as the passing of dear Aunt Helen, in 2001), we lost our Halmeoni...Halmeoni is Korean for Grandma. In this case, Hansoo's beloved Grandma--his mother's mother-- and the lovely lady I had the extreme honor of knowing, and loving, very very much....
Although Halmeoni spoke little English, and I, only a bit of Korean, we found ways to communicate---my performing a bit of "Charades" to discover what she was trying to express, along with holding hands, sharing photos of family, showing her photos of our "furry babies", a few hand and neck-massages and a manicure, and the universal communion of--- food: cream-cakes, kimchee, bananas, red-bean-cake, fudge--- whatever Halmeoni was interested in on any given day.
She lived to age 93-- a bit afflicted with Alzheimer's at the end-- but passed to the next world in her sleep, peacefully...

Because she grew up in Land of Morning Calm, and also lived many, many years in the American South, I chose a piece from famed American Southerner, Tenessee Williams, and surprised her family by reading this--- graveside--- for her:


Heavenly Grass

My feet took a walk in heavenly grass.
All day while the sky shone clear as glass.
My feet took a walk in heavenly grass,
All night while the lonesome stars rolled past.
Then my feet come down to walk on earth,
And my mother cried when she give me birth.
Now my feet walk far and my feet walk fast,
But they still got an itch for heavenly grass.
But they still got an itch for heavenly grass.


Tennessee Williams

Rest in Peace, Halmeoni, Rest in Peace. Say hi to my Yia-Yia(my Greek grandma--my mother's mother--Georgia), and the others we miss.....I'll see you later.

Many Thanks to all of "Omma's" and "Oppa's" extended family and friends, who were there in Los Angeles, to offer comfort, and take us to Korean dinners, and "Boba teas" with hand-holding, and hugs. God Bless You.

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

My sympathies to both of you.