Wednesday, May 07, 2008

SISTERS...
My sis, Tina and I have traveled different paths in life.
Always outdoorsy and athletic, Tina was quite the glamour girl, too.
I was downright shy, insecure, and a complete klutz where sports were concerned(I now know part of that was my inability to see clearly--before I was diagnosed as extremely myopic). Tina was spontaneous; I planned events carefully.When she longed for marriage and a baby, I was happy working "job-jobs"(my term for non-performance/non-writing work), pursuing acting, and dating around, having fun...
Tina has been more conservative, in the past, where politics are concerned, too.
But here we are, two sisters, in "mid-life", and it seems we've crossed the same path. Both of us are now married(Tina has that baby she always wanted, though my niece has pretty much grown up, now!).Politically, both of us support progressive candidates--in fact, we are both cheering on the same candidate for President! Tina is also working for a project I strongly believe in--amending Florida's constitution so that LGBT persons may fully adopt children in that state.
And I adore SURPRISES. So this week, Tina decided to surprise our Mom, and fly in to surprise her(ostensibly, for Mother's Day).
What a treat hearing that JOY in Mom's voice, as she recounted the details of hearing "package for Ms. Allender...", only to discover her younger daughter was there, in-person, at her job!
I love that Tina and I have each other. That we actually AGREE on some things, makes it even more fun....
Here's to sisters. May we embrace the differences, and celebrate our "common ground, found."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic. What a surprise! It's true what you say - as you get older you can appreciate the differences between siblings that drove a wedge between you when you were younger. Enjoy your time together.

Karen J. Weyant said...

It's funny, isn't it, the relationship among siblings. I was a mid-life crisis baby, so my sisters were a lot older than me -- old enough to be my mother. Through personal tragedies in the family this past year we have bonded, when in fact, we were never that close.

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Well said, ladies.
My sis and I are definitely closer than when we were children/teens/young-young women.
Hooray for mid-life!

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

a P.S. to Karen Weyant--I meant to add I'm sorry for the personal tragedy/losses that you/your family has/have suffered, but I know you are grateful to be closer to your family...