Friday, November 01, 2013

More Good News.

Mom--Demetra Leonora(Comati)Allender-- received news, and I was right there with her, along with her brother, Nick Comati, at Cancer Treatment Centers of America on October 17th, when Dr. Sean Cavanaugh, her (Radiation)Oncologist said "Great results on your MRI, the very best you could hope for, Demetra..." and later the same day, Dr. Brion Randolph proclaimed "Your tests show the very best outcome; I only need to see you every three months or so, to do a comparative MRI...." "Kathy P.", one of our Case Managers, actually wept as Dr. Randolph explained that only about 1% of the people with Mom's type of cancer, get this kind of result...when I asked Kathy P. why she was crying, she said "We just don't see this result, often enough..." I quickly reminded her that every single day, they--the very dedicated staff of CTCA, make a huge difference in our lives.... Metaphor of the month: "Ant hills"...... Dr.Randolph explained, "The metaphor I've begun using, is that of ants...you have cancer[cells], and just like ants, we know they are there, but we don't see them; there's no ant-hill, so, until we do see an ant-hill, you are good." Amen to that! So, from May 7th until now, we've fought. We are still fighting. In the what-I've-learned-from-Caregiving-category: I've learned I'm more capable, more organized, than I ever believed I was. I'm stronger than I thought I was. And I 've learned all the confidence I've placed in both of my parents, and in my spouse, is very, very well-placed: they have all earned my confidence, my respect, a million times over... In becoming a (better)Caregiver, I've learned to care better, for myself. As I often say on Facebook: Thank you, kids, for all your warm thoughts, good energy, kind meditations, and yes--heartfelt prayers. Peace, kids.

5 comments:

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

A Post-Script:
Mom chose NOT to begin "Tarceva", the drug I mentioned in this Blog, a few months ago.
Although she originally planned to begin using it within weeks of completing her months of Radiation/Chemo, Dr. Randolph recently suggested she wait and use it only as a "last resort", given that it could hurt her quality of life, which right now, is pretty darned good.

Christine said...

I'm so happy for her and for you and the whole family! Peace to you, Lisa!

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Thank you, Christine Swint!:)

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

excellent news - keep on going

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Hi Pixies-- thank you; we are keeping on!